Happy Yorkshire Day!
Although we believe that Yorkshire Day should be celebrated 365 days of the year, unfortunately, it’s not, and is celebrated for just one day. However, if you’re from Yorkshire, that day is today!
To celebrate, staff at Corecom Consulting will be embarking on a Yorkshire pudding eating frenzy throughout the day courtesy of Operations Manager, Gemma Robinson. We’ll also be getting into the true spirit of Yorkshire by wearing flat caps, whilst drinking good ‘ol Yorkshire tea all day long.
As it is Yorkshire Day, we thought it would be fitting to share a bit of classic Yorkshire with you and we’ll start with some brilliant Yorkshire phrases.
1. “Put t’wood in t’oil” (Put the wood in the hole) – Close the door
2. “10 while 11” – 10 o’clock until 11 o’clock
3. “Mardy” – moody
4. “Scran” – food
5. “Dinner” – lunch
6. “Tea” – dinner
7. “Twerk” – which has two definitions:
- To dance using predominantly your bum, usually sexually.
- Where people in Yorkshire go Monday to Friday 9-5pm.
These are just a few typical Yorkshire sayings that you may well be accustomed to. Other terms can be found in the Yorkshire dialect glossary created by the BBC.
Yorkshire is a county of innovation, as this list proves:
- Yorkshire Tea
- Yorkshire puddings (of course)
- Wensleydale cheese
- Samuel Smith’s Brewery – if you don’t know this, you should…
- Tetley’s Brewery
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Bassets, Thorntons, Rowntree’s and Terry’s
Yorkshire has also produced some pretty big names…
- Kevin Keegan and Gordon Banks
- Brownlee brothers
- Jessica Ennis
- Jeremy Clarkson
- Brian Blessed
- Neville Longbottom AKA Matthew Lewis
- Harold Wilson, who famously stated:
“I’m an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat.” As much as I love Yorkshire, I have to sympathise with the former British Prime Minister on this occasion.
Corecom Consulting would like to wish you all a very happy Yorkshire Day, and remember ‘ya can tek’t lad outta Yorkshire but ya can’t tek’t Yorkshire outta’t lad!’ Proud to be Yorkshire. Like what you’ve read? We’d love to hear from you, email us at email@example.com