A concise and clear covering e-mail will lead to a higher chance of the prospective employer choosing you over and above the rest. Here are our top ten covering e-mail hints to make you stand out from the crowd:
- Address it to the person accountable for the role, named on the job specification, and quote the job reference at the top of the e-mail
- Positively explain your current role and why you’d like to progress
- Summarise what you know about the employing organisation – demonstrate you’ve done your homework and that you understand the employer’s needs and job requirements
- Explain why you are keen to be an employee of the organisation – outline your key strengths
- Tell them what you can offer them as an employee – give examples of relevant experience, express your enthusiasm for the role and demonstrate the value you would add
- Adapt the content of your e-mail to the role and try not to repeat yourself
- Emphasise your SAKE competencies and flexibility, providing examples which show a link between these and the needs of the employer
- Include any relevant and professional social media profile links e.g. LinkedIn
- Make sure your e-mail flows well, is concise and contains no errors – ask someone else to check it when you are happy with it
- Finish by emphasising a wish to speak further about the opportunity.
Search and apply for vacancies
Click here to search and apply for current vacancies, making sure you include a cover e-mail with your application.